February 25, 2013

2012 Books In Review

A little late, but here is the list of books I read in 2012, in the various categories I've labeled.  I've done a very brief review of my favorites from each category.

THEOLOGY

Table Talk  by Martin Luther
Right In Their Own eyes  by George Schwab
The Works of Thomas Brooks, Volume II  by Thomas Brooks
The Bondage Of The Will  by Martin Luther

Favorite:  Table Talk  by Martin Luther
     I haven't enjoyed a book like I enjoyed this one in a long time.  I usually mark pages for quotes and passages that I want to remember, or that i love etc.  This one has little page markers all over it.  Luther is hilarious, insightful, witty, and an amazing storyteller.  What I wouldn't give to have been one of the students who sat at his table!

FICTION

The Two Towers  by J.R. Tolkien
The Hunger Games  by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire  by Suzanne Collins
The Endless Knot  by Stephen Lawhead
Chosen  by Ted Dekker
Patrick  by Stephen Lawhead
Killing Floor  by Lee Child
Mockingjay  by Suzanne Collins

Favorite:  The Hunger Games  by Suzanne Collins
     My favorite author is Stephen Lawhead, and most of the time, his book(s) would definitely be the favorite.  However, this year, I was intrigued with the Hunger Games.  It was an amazing page-turner, and although Collins isn't the best writer I've read, she can certainly tell a good story, and that's what the Hunger Games was.  Unfortunately, the rest of the series wasn't as good in my opinion, and went nowhere.  The Hunger Games thrived where the other two books, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay, lost steam as they progressed.  It was actually a big disappointment by the time I finished the third book, but that takes nothing away from the brilliance of the Hunger Games. 

HISTORICAL/POLITICAL/BIOGRAPHY

Through My Eyes  by Tim Tebow
God's Battalions  by Rodney Stark
American Conspiracies  by Jesse Ventura
Walt Disney by Neal Gabler

Favorite:  Walt Disney  by Neal Gabler
     This could have been tied with American Conspiracies, but "Walt Disney" edged out.  It was a long book.  A LONG book, but very interesting and I couldn't really put it down.  Perhaps it stems from our love of Disneyland/World, but it was extremely insightful into who Disney really was.  At the same time, it's a sad story of a man who has left so much conjured up happiness in the world.  I highly recommend this biography to anyone in the least bit interested in Walt Disney.  The sections on Snow White and Disneyland are especially notable. 

CLASSIC

Crime and Punishment  by Fyodor Dostoevsky
To Kill A Mockingbird  by Lee Harper

Favorite: To Kill A Mockingbird  by Lee Harper
     Easiest choice of the year.  I didn't get to read hardly any classics this past year which was disappointing.  This is due to "Crime and Punishment".  The book took FOREVER to trudge through and thus deprived me of time to read other classics.  I know a lot of people like this book, but it just never took off for me.  However, "To Kill A Mocking A Bird" was every bit the classic I've always heard it was.  The character of Atticus Finch is one of the best in literature, of all time, hands down.  His morality, courage, and the lessons you get along the way are phenomenal.  My only regret is that I was never asked to read this in high school! 

PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY/OTHER

Lit!  by Tony Reinke
The Trellis And The Vine  by Colin Marshall
The Intolerance of Tolerance  by D.A. Carson
Manly Dominion  by Mark Chanski
The Archer And The Arrow  by Philip Jensen

Favorite:  Manly Dominion by Mark Chanski
     This was the hardest choice of the year.  So many great books in this category.  A very close second runner up is "Lit!".  (Any book on reading books gets my nod!)  However, "Manly Dominion" was very timely, goring through a year with little Aisley.  It has such great insight and knowledge on what God requires of men as men, as husbands, and as fathers.  Given to me by dear friends, I would very much like to see this book read and discussed by groups of men (and women!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment